Open the Heart, Then the Hand

This past week I have been talking to my students about the importance of opening your heart before you give unto others. If we give from a stagnant or restrained heart, we offer from a place of expectation and obligationWe give things we do not really intend to give. From there, we expect things back, give because we feel that we should, and breed resentment. I've been teaching, on the other hand, that when the heart is open and receptive, we receive abundantly and can give from that abundance.

On the mat this can translate to the placement of our arms, and thus our hands, in relation to our hearts. If you reach into places where the heart is not ready to go, this can cause pain or discomfort. We lose the connection with our breath and our awareness.
Tikonasan (variation)
More specifically in a heart opening posture, like Trikonasan (triangle pose), we can reach forward as we hinge at the hips and reach down for the shin, block or floor. We can extend the top arm, and at times stretch the arm and hand beyond the openness of the heart, the rotation of sternum bone and the shoulder as the heart stretches upward. This leaves that top arm hanging out too far behind the back body unconsciously, giving more than we have to give at that time. 

I have experienced this in reverse prayer when a teacher adjusted my shoulders to press my palms together. I immediately felt pain. I was not open enough to receive that assist, sort of like someone prying your hands open (as he did my shoulders) when your body-mind is not prepared to give. This is stealing! (This also speaks to good adjustments verses the not so good ones, too.) Whenever things begin to "hurt" beyond what feels right for you, DON'T DO IT. Tell the well-meaning teacher to "shoo."

In life the same. It is our responsible to give on purpose, to give consciously from an open heart. When you're in doubt, ask yourself: Where is my heart? Where is it best to place my hands in relationship to it?

Give from there! Enjoy the journey! 

Popular posts from this blog

Once a Blogger, Always a Blogger.

Music and Yoga

Learn the Lesson and Then Teach What You Know