Safe Haven

Everyone needs somewhere they can go and feel safe. For me this is my yoga mat. If people attempt to disrupt me while I am practicing, I feel safe to ignore them. If the phone rings or I hear sounds that don’t indicate harm, I let them be. I remind myself often, I am on my mat to focus on myself. I am not here to fix that which is around me. I can do that later.

This year I will be teaching high school students yoga as an elective. I am excited to offer this experience. I hope to create a space of safety and ease within the class as well as for students on the mat. My wish is that all people will see their mat as a home for their body to move and rest, for their emotions to flow, and their thoughts and experiences to find homeostasis.

You can create this safe haven for yourself on your mat too. Here are some easy ways to begin creating a space of comfort and ease so that your practice will yield these benefits back to you. 

1. Choose a mat that makes you feel comfortable. Whether the color of the mat or thickness of the mat, choose one that supports your needs. Many people would say stay away from the cheap plastic mats, but over the years I have found great comfort on some of those mats. Some are just the right stick and thick. Some of them are beautifully designed. Choose the mat that works for you, maybe even double them for extra cushion.

2. Consider where you choose to lay your mat. Not everyone feels safe practicing outside. If that is you, commit to an indoor practice. No one will think less of you. No one will even know. As well, when you make the choice to lay your mat with a group of other practitioners, consider where in the room as well as who in the room you practice next to. If you know a person will talk to you, but you have come to do some heavenly lifting, don’t practice there. If there is other equipment or a window in the room that will be a distraction to you, don’t lay your mat there either. Find the spot in the room that will nurture your intention for being there. If you are beginner, don’t hide in the back. Come closer to the teacher (maybe off to either side of the group) so that the teacher can assist you, and you can still see what other people are doing.

3. Lighting and temperature can change your whole practice for the good. Finding the right setting on your light fixtures or turning them off to light a candle are easy ways to help you ease into and stay with your practice. The temperature of the room should be warm. If the room is too cold, you are likely not to stay as long. Further, when you lay on the floor on your mat for any relaxation poses, the temperature of your body will drop. So keep this in mind when you set the temperature in the room or go outside for practice.

4. Lastly, set yourself up for success. Have the props that will nurture your practice on hand and use them. Good things to have around during your practice include, but aren't limited to, a strap, blocks, and a blanket. You can create these out of things you already have in your house. For a strap, you can use a scarf, towel, or men’s necktie. For blocks, you can use two same-size books or a chair. Use a blanket you can roll and unroll easily, so when you want a wedge for a lifted sitting bone (say in pigeon pose) or to cover up the body (say in savasana), either is possible.


Take care of your safe haven. Clean it often. Nurture and create your space on the mat by coming here every day, even if just as a moment to cry or escape. The more you come here, and family or friends see you here, the more they will get used to respecting your space and time as much as you do.

Popular posts from this blog

Once a Blogger, Always a Blogger.

Music and Yoga