Fast Healing or Healing Fast? Or Both.

When my husband first mentioned fasting for my health, it was not the first time I'd heard of it. But it was the first time someone so close to me had suggested that I do it.

Here, I'm on a fast at the end of this last cycle of chemo, the 12th day
When I'd first heard of intermittent fasting, I was at the Airport Health Club, where I offer yoga, enjoying the jacuzzi. I met a nice couple whose brother/ brother-in-law had just passed from cancer. The women was struggling with some health concerns of her own, and they'd mentioned fasting with their brother in solidarity. The story concluded again with him passing away, so I thought "Well, that might explain some things." Why would anyone deny themselves nutrients that could help their body, especially when the body was already depleted?

The intuitive nudge did not stop there, and neither did my skepticism. A new homeopathic doctor's office opened in front of the Airport Club, and they offered a Keto Diet training. My husband and I went. I raised my hand to inquire, rather ignorantly I know now, of the potential dangers of fasting during chemotherapy when this came up in their presentation. They looked confused, but responded, "Anyone in dire straights is watched very closely in the office and has access to the doctor for consults during this time."

Then it came up again as I watched my husband watching videos on fasting weeks later. He watched them for weeks, investigating this practice for his own use, all the while telling me, "You should watch this, Court." If anyone knows me, he knows that it takes polite prodding with information for me to bite, instead of force. So, he just kept watching and being an example. Until one
evening, I sat down to watch a video with him. I can't remember the exact one now. (I have watched many since. See the list of Youtube resources below.) But in this video, the one he was watching that night,  it mentioned in brief curing cancer (among other things) using fasting.

So I started to search. Curing cancer is my mission. I feel myself to be a guinea pig for this mission now that I have awareness and a CLL (Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia) diagnosis.  You can learn more about this in my previous post: Working on a Cure for CLL or follow me on Instagram  @Courtney Rohan as I share my journey.

It has been interesting hearing people speak about all the things they make use of, and now this: fasting for a cure. When I found the most prominent video by Dr. Valter Longo, which showed me lab mice that were given chemotherapy after being fasted for a time versus those that were fed, there was undoubtedly a marked difference. Some of the mice that ate before chemo, died, while the other fasted mice, thrived. I could no longer deny the benefit.

I watched many videos filling in as many gaps in my understanding as I could. I am no doctor.  Primary sources started to emerge of people who had fasted for three days before their treatment and the day of their last treatment within the cycle window. I decided to try it for myself.

Having fasted before for religious reasons, I was familiar with fasting and praying. But I decided that I would do one day to begin, so as not to be extreme but open myself to the possibility. I was nervous because I had always been told to make sure that whenever I took Tylenol, or other over the counter drugs, to eat first.

The intravenous nausea medicine and the Benadryl, protocol for the Rituximab I receive on the first day, alone was enough to scare me. But then I got to the oncology center after fasting the day and found out that my white blood cells were high, and my red blood cells low. My blood work did not look good, and my doctor didn't want to go further with the treatment. He wanted me to come back next week. I fought this idea. I had taken the week off, and I felt fine to keep going. I told my nurse. She let my doctor know. My doctor responded, if I wanted to go ahead we would lower the dose of the chemo meds to 80 percent. That was fine with me, so we began.

The effect of the nausea medicine and Benadryl was as expected. I felt heavily drugged, weighted and discombobulated. But I regained composure after some sleep. Throughout the first day of my three days of treatment, I did not eat. When I got home, I had a small meal and then began eating from there for the rest of the treatment until the last day when I fasted again. You honestly would not have known I had received chemo. I had energy. I did not feel sick, and I had to remind myself to sit down.

I have since fasted for three days before my treatment. I have asked for a lower dosage of the Benadryl (to half) and I have found my recovery after each treatment to be swift.

What I am learning through fasting is the body's resilience. The body will find fuel for itself, thus denying the cancer cells fuel. I have learned that though food is beneficial, so is giving my system a chance to relax without having to process food, even the good stuff. I have learned that though fasting during chemotherapy sounds counter intuitive, it is the bee's knees as my mom who died of Breast Cancer, would have put it. If only we knew then, what we know now. Rest in peace, Mommy.

If you are uncertain of how fasting can help you, study. Watch the videos below to get you started. Talk to your doctor. You may find skeptics. I was one, myself. But follow the research and follow the goodness of the heart and gut. Your body will have no choice but to thank you.

If you have any questions for me, respond to this email or leave a comment below. I'd love to talk to you about your needs. If there is any way that I can help you or direct you towards some other resource that I have found, please let me know.

Sat Nam.


YouTube Resources on Fasting 
Extreme diets and their beneficial effects during cancer treatment
https://youtu.be/1yEOJDe0M9I
Eat, Fast and Live Longer
How I made it through chemo (fasting & chemo, plus tips & product recommendations)
https://youtu.be/b1aOMgZtLHs
Dr. Sebi: TALKING ABOUT FASTING
https://youtu.be/4qG_IUpGwZc


Fasting: Awakening the Rejuvenation from Within | Valter Longo | TEDxEchoParkhttps://youtu.be/dVArDzYynYc


Dr. Margaret Paul's Interview on "Let Love In Live" With Iris Benrubihttps://youtu.be/vZT5Jq7x5Ts




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Once a Blogger, Always a Blogger.

Music and Yoga

Learn the Lesson and Then Teach What You Know