My New Morning Ritual: Sadhana (A work in progress)

A ritual of learning and living with intention, a guide to samadhi, but first and foremost, a practice in yoga that taps one into themselves is called a Sadhana. This can be many things based on many definitions and personal views, culture and religious affiliations. Truth, we are always practicing something, creating something, becoming something. We are ever expanding and growing.

How consciously we practice is determined by many factors, but I agree, one's morning ritual is high at the top of the list. I'd like to distinguish here between a morning Sadhana and the Sadhana that happens as we are ready or have time to address. What we drag our attention to bright and early will most likely inform the rest of the day until we can reset into the afternoon-evening. This does not mean that we are screwed if we miss this activity. This means if we miss this activity, we feel less like ourselves. You may discover, here in this blog, a couple ways that help you wake up and jump in with intention, and over time, find devotion in a morning Sadhana.

Your connection to your Source and yourself is prime. How you do this should have some consistency. Do this early in your morning and see the difference in your connection with yourself and others. As best you can, don't leave home without plugging in.

This will always be growing and expanding as are you. But let one thing remain, your practice of tuning in, that thing you know to be certain, that time that no matter what other pieces twist and turn, stays consistent. "Seek ye first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you" (Matthew 6:33). The kingdom of God is inside you. Wake up and Jump in!

Here, let me help you get your juices flowing. Once you start to think about your morning ritual, you'll see what you already do and what you can alter for better use of your time, for a better experience, and more joy and quality of life. Be sure to write your Sadhana down, and like all successful people, be prepared to share it when asked.

1. Sound is expression. How you express yourself matters. What is the first sound you want to hear and the first sound you want to give away? Do that. Sound off with intention. What is your mantra, your prayer, your intention, your internal soul song? What noises express your gratitude?

2. What do you see or want to see? This includes what you read and write. Is there a spiritual book that uplifts you and inspires you to think more about Source's worth and your connection to IT? Read that every morning. What is the first thing you see when you open your eyes? Does it inspire you to greatness? Can you change something simple, like add a picture or sticky note to the wall for a time, to encourage yourself straight away in the morning?



3. Cleanliness is next to Godliness. Brush your teeth. Scrape your tongue. Floss. Wash your face and your body. Drink room tempature water and tea/ coffee as it nurtures you. These are all necessary. Then clean the inside by going inside. What will your internal work look like? How will it coincide with who you are and what your days demand?

The one thing that continues to work for me is yoga. This is ever evolving for me as I come home to Kundalini yoga right now in my life. The practice of sitting down, tuning in with mantra and breathwork, meditation and/ kriya helps me. The more consistent I am with this practice, the better for me. But no matter what type I'm doing, I love yoga. Vinyasa yoga has been my long- time friend. The movement cleans me out. With this practice I feel renewed. My husband and son can stand me. I can stand myself. I understand and feel my body better. I feel beyond my body through my practice and see the things that make me come alive or leave me depleted. I become more me, seated in the lotus at the heart's center.

4. Physical practice for the heart and mind: Ways of letting go, when you need them. 
This is where there is fluctuation in the morning Sadhana. How I work through what plagues me may be as simple as taking a walk or short run some days, but if I am grieving or dealing in strife, then I wip out things like my journal and write a list of things for which I am grateful.


I write and burn. I write a letter to someone. I give my time and attention to others, deliberately, on purpose. I cry. I sing loudly, I dance, and then I rinse, wash and repeat. This is life not a dream.

Or, is it?

Choose your Sadhana well so that you may grow well, and in time, you will feel devotion to Source, yourself and others in new ways. You will see the work accomplished early and the rest of the day as an opportunity to continue what you have started.

Sat Nam

Popular posts from this blog

Music and Yoga

Once a Blogger, Always a Blogger.

Learn the Lesson and Then Teach What You Know