I’ve been extracted.
I know it sounds funny
But like a alien
Spaceship invasion
I’ve been sucked out of my world
And dropped almost abruptly
Into a new place where
Accents are so strong
I can not understand
A language that appears
To be my own.
I’ve been abducted
From all that I know
In order to entertain
Southern hospitality
Farms and extreme heat
And there are times
When the little bits still
Left of myself miss
The smog, mice
And frequent hollerings
Of a mad taxi driver
“Move the Fuck out the way”
Honk, Honk-- loudly
With banishes
That are not the sound
These aliens make
Where they drive snail slow
In an attempt to get somewhere.
But I recognize demon speeds
I even know how to avoid them
Or make them happen
And it doesn’t bother me
I can make it home safe there.
But here
Where the clouds
Sun red as Pluto, moon, stars are always
Beautiful and close and the rain
Pounds like waterfalls and then
Crickets
I am clean and hot again
And unsure I will ever make it
Home
The roads go on for ever everywhere
I am not sure at all which direction
To travel
Cause when I was extracted
I know the big alien had a plan
For taking so much care to cover my eyes
To get me here
Even going down portal 95
North
Driving my legs full speed
Can not help me locate
The space that I once lived on
And yet, here is not where I feel safe
It is not where I know how to find
All of my belongings
My yoga classes and friends
It is not where the stars are covered
And the mice are unscared of anything bigger
Where they are just like me
Used to living off of the scrapes
Used to making a home out of the holes
Someone else calls home
And with every extraction
I have been called closer to the greater alien
As things are sucked into
Spaceships and worlds unseen before now
Where I am asked to be bigger
Something I can not unravel
Or decode with my own strength
And the mass that I am becoming
Is layered like the earth’s surface and lava
Where I am burned clean and full
And absolutely supposed to be this close
With tears coming out of my eye
Drying as quickly as they are shed
Even though I am scared to identify no parts
Of what I was before my removal
Burned through light tunnels, years
Lives
Under such extreme speeds of irresistible force
There is no way to reconnect to there
Or me and soon
I won’t even know to care.

Comments

Unknown said…
Courtney. First---you are beautiful! Hair cut? Yoga body? I don't know--either way---Wow, it's good to see you.

Poem? So much good stuff---I love the images of you traveling, through tubes, teletransported almost. Great images.

I guess I can't stop being a teacher, because I can't help make suggestions---I suggest you go through the poem and see what you can take away to take the poem away from prose, i.e. parse this down, and see if this doesn't get stronger.

xoxoxo.
Shonda said…
Just like old times! You're the reason I started writing every day, remember? We were in high school then. I haven't written anything for my own pleasure or release in a while. It seems you are having some trouble adjusting to your new life? Remember, this too shall pass.... I'm glad to hear you're writing a book. Sounds very exciting keep me informed and thanks for sharing. I love your hair! Til 2mrw!
JD said…
wow, you sound sad. I remember when i felt that way. jersey girl forced to the south. it will take awhile, but it will happen. great literary images!
LisaBrowdyBlog said…
I'm feeling the whole range of emotions...the alien thing- makes me think of "the fourth kind"!! I've yet to go see it though. Been a fan from way back- really happy that your making the book a reality. Love your hair and your looking radiant...change is ALWAYS GOOD. LOVE YOU!!!
Erica said…
Courtney, I still love this poem, especially the beginning. It reminds me of when I first moved out here. I felt aware of all the beauty out here (the ugliness as well), but all I wanted was to get HOME. I hope you are feeling more at home where you are now. You know, you carry home with you, even if it doesn't always feel that way.
Courtney Rohan said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Courtney Rohan said…
I am just trying to express feelings we've all felt, in a different way.

Don't be alarmed. I know the poems can be intense. The book will be called "the dark side of fate". That might explain somethings. I am, however, great you guys!! Really Great!!

Popular posts from this blog

Music and Yoga

Once a Blogger, Always a Blogger.