He likes to dance
His dancing only including
Someone watching
He likes to be watched.
I am not sure he does it for the feeling
Of pure dancing
Like leaves in wind or hot water boiling.

Dancing without anyone paying attention
Is not worth the pay for him
And a glance is not enough
When he is rocking out rhythm-less
To “Beat It”.
I justify it--

“No one can do Michael like Michael could”.

But he is not great at dancing for others’ eyes.
If only he could privately like his spins and stomps
The feeling of the wind when he turns
Or his heart beat over boiling
The longer and harder he pounds.

He throws his hands in the air and sweat drips
Down the sides of his face
Dancing flats in ¾ time
And sharps in ½ time like waltz dances b-boy
And Jackson “Thriller”
If that’s possible.

And I find myself watching
He -- basking in the watching
Digging holes with his sneaks-
1-3 or 2-4 or some weird combination tempo
I watch
Not sure why.

Am I smiling at him
Or with him?
Am I going so far as to laugh at him?
Am I excited by his creativity the way I used to be
When I’d watch him at 2 ½ years of age?

At 5 ½, he craves attention
Dancing at attention
I want to tell him to stop
But I am unsure what that would do to him
I at least want to encourage him not to dance
In the aisles of Walmart and on the reader’s stage
In the Barnes and Noble bookstore.

But I don’t.

Does it matter why he dances?
Does it matter what the watcher thinks?
I believe he believes that he is doing IT
And BIG
Like Saturday nights and lights
And he is on the stage
Giving all he’s got for anyone’s attention

And there is just no motherly way
For me to "Beat it".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Once a Blogger, Always a Blogger.

Music and Yoga