On the Reading of Spiritual Texts

Romans 9:1, in the Bible, is the beginning of Paul’s truthful confession to fight others’ battles, if he could. It is true, he shares, I would disconnect from Christ for you. In the Bavagavad Gita, a classic Indian text, Arjuna speaks to Krishna about the fight in which he must participate in against his people. It is a fight for a greater cause. Arjuna pleads with Lord Krishna, hopeful that just maybe there is a way out of this torrent. There is not. There is in neither culture, or time a choice now, we must fight the battle to contribute to the greater cause. A cause and glorious and victorious battle, we do not fully know the intricacies, of awaits each day. What a sweet deal we have.


When I wake in the morning, I say a quick prayer. I take a moment to feel what my rest has left behind. I feel the energy in and around me and breathe into spots that are out of spiritual alignment. This feels like my life. Everything I do and say, I feel it my choice. If I neglect to consider the who of my belonging, I can get through a whole day feeling like I am my own.

It is tricky to consider this life is to be lived for someone or something else. And yet, the reality of that thinking is that some how, in order to live life, I must be prepared. On a very subtle level this preparation comes through our food, activities, and rest. But the real preparation for this life of God’s, comes through the reading and studying of spiritual texts.

In the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, a life practice of devotion is the path to Samadhi (Enlightenment), Isvara Pranidanam it is called. That is, the doing of everything with the right attitude in service to the world at large. This egoless challenge is not one for wimps. And though it would a gift to receive complete understanding of how this is accomplished through osmosis, it is in the seeking that we find the answer.

Watching Kill Bill, Vol.2 today, a personal favorite, the protagonist is buried alive. The script takes us immediately to a glorious flashback of her sacrifice to gain her master’s respect and further, his ferocious teachings. At one point, she relentlessly punches at a couple-inches-thick piece of wood. Her hands crippled, she quivers to pick up her rice with her chopsticks. However the lesson shows itself vital as she punches her way out of the grave.

If years ago, I had not completed a yoga teacher training, I would not know where to begin. I would continue reading the Bible and as God promises, succeed. I do believe the Bible to hold the lessons and tools to prepare us for this career. I do not believe that it is the only means nor the most exciting for today‘s readers. I have included and will continue to updates on the right hand margin of my blog page books that have guided my understanding. If these do not suit you and you are desperately seeking your armor, I encourage you not to rest until you have reached boldly out to a person whom is growing in light. I place my stamp of guarantee that this person is reading something or has read something that will give you a glance in the direction you need to go.

What you do with the book once you have it is more important than the gathering of the crop. It is imperative to study it. Don’t just read, take notes. Highlight the pages if the book belongs to you. This might be a pleasurable read, but that is not your focus. And the goal, is to fight with egoless service, effectively. If these books are to be the “how to battle the enemy” manuscript, they must be referenced often and then with that, the true work begins. The keeping of words in your heart is done through putting the words to work through our actions.

Yoga is not just about asana (postures). That is fun…even if you can’t do them. They are fun even to watch others attain. The true posture of yoga is in our 24 hour life actions, not a one to three hour class. True yoga is the sacrifice and devotion of must, and this combat is the biggest one we will ever know. This enemy, our situation or attitude…, which we soothe our knickers considering so far away, lurks and waits to bury us alive.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Once a Blogger, Always a Blogger.

Music and Yoga