Some Times We Just Need to Remember

taken from farfromperfectrobbin.blogspot.com

Sometimes to remember is the best course of action and yet somehow, remembering is a skill so hard to access that we are left only to forget. What we remember is key. What we forget, even more a key. Why have we chosen to forget that date or that time? Why was the message lost after it left that loved one’s mouth or that stranger’s conversation, glanced in passing, dialogue about the flowers in the garden and his laying deeply in their bed, remembered?

Are we choosing to stand in the world forgetting the things that make us great or give us joy? Is it a choice to forget, like it is a choice to remember? That is, some things at certain times remembered.

September 11th came and went so fast this year. I did not remember anything of it except, I turned on the TV and the Today Show mentioned shortly that one teacher in a small school in somewhere unfamiliar is following the curriculum guide for a study of the memorial. I looked at the date on the bottom of the screen. September 11th. I turned  the TV off. The day progressed as normal, with me in and out of gratefulness and forgetfulnesses.

So many years later, and though I have chosen to forget briefly, those whom lost someone dear are still reaching, still creating curricula, still fighting daily. I chose not to forget the days when I lost one thing substantial, but neglect remembering a day when hundreds lost their lives and hundreds more lost a friend or neighbor, brother or sister, daughter, son. I forget life’s uncertainty, by choice, so I can accomplish those things I think important right now. Sleeping late. It’s the weekend, and turning the TV on at 11:00 am. Off at 11:15 as soon as I am uninterested. Important?

Sometimes taking a moment to consciously remember is the best thing we can do. We can choose to remember that we are giants and that life is real and God supportive. Or, we can choose to forget and stand a chance at little glances of someone else’s glorious experience and response. We can wait for the TV to tell us what is important or we can decide what is, before the 11:00 news.

Is that really an option. Sit in silence, not just for the dead but for the living, of life. Go now…

Sat Ra

Namaste.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Once a Blogger, Always a Blogger.

Music and Yoga