Circumcision of the Heart

Circumcision of the heart by the Spirit? Just exploring this idea here. Romans 2:29.

No, a true Jew is one whose heart is right with God. And true circumcision is not merely obeying the letter of the law; rather, it is a change of heart produced by the Spirit. And a person with a changed heart seeks praise[a]from God, not from people."

What does this verse from the Bible really mean has to transpire?

I have a confession.

I love ancient, relevant text. The Bible is most definitely one of my favs. I love the enormity of the ideas, the way Spirit then reveals itself, always the same. God is enormous.

I just wanted to let you know before I rant about how I love this scripture.

I love this scripture!!

It reminds me that there is nothing that we can do to be in his graces. It means, there is nothing to do? Did I read that right? The heart is purified by the Spirit.

You may be one of the beautiful ones that would like to argue with this thinking— this do nothing idea sounds lazy. But I do not mean sit around and wait for miracles. I don’t mean do nothing with your precious time. Yes, absolutely, do something with your time. Do the right something with your time. The inspired some thing. And what you do does not have to be some big spectacle to get big results either, especially since Spirit also opens us that. How blessed. Then, on top of all of that, Spirit circumcises the heart too.

Sounds painful.:)

No, what is painful is the way we run about trying to do things that are not inspired, when we are distracted and not paying attention to the way that we feel, or when we feel things but do nothing in response to the feeling. 

I am one of you, so to be honest, for a long time I thought I had to do something. But Romans 2:29, this idea is one of relaxing, which I explored in a previous blog, Moving with the Journey Relaxed. God wants us to trust Him by relaxing in, floating with, which really opens the door to the true enjoyment of life. When we are in His care and the only thing to do is go, we actually stand still to watch Spirit move in our lives.

Follow the Spirit, and then the heart will be rectified with Spirit.

Woop! To me that is awesome!

What we experience when we are led to follow is really inspiration, His Inspiration. He leads us to oneness. Jesus left his Holy Spirit when he dead and rose. The Holy Spirit like all spirit is moving, vibrational. It is momentous, what is sweeping through and waking people up. That is It! This new experience, this age of Aquarius, has allowed a more potent reception of energies here in this time and space. And, I believe it can be the best of times, if we learn how to follow, relax and let the Spirit lead.

How to be guided by Spirit, you ask, and allow your heart to be cleaned? Relax. And beyond that, relax more. I am happy to give you suggestions, but I can only tell you some of the ways that I relax to start each day and seek Spirit, for myself.

For all, it will take playing around in Spirit-space to further inspire your doing and be shown what is best for you. If you don’t practice, you can't play. If you don’t play, you know you can’t win—at anything. Find the right combination of surrender, balanced with sweet strength and grit; dig in; let go, trust and follow. What you will find is that if you relax into the movement of seeking, what you thought you were looking for will truly materialize with ease.  You’ll wake and find God and Space in all.

There are times that being a human being means we grasp at seeking, thinking it will come quicker or that we will be able to control it, harness it, in our own way.  But thinking we can force things to be is the much harder, scenic, approach. We can allow the Spirit to do the work and find the ease in all that we will do.

I wake around 5/5:30 am. (That may sound early, it is. It’s still dark. But I don’t get out the bed at 5/5:30. I give myself 15 minutes sometimes a little more, but no more than 30 minutes, to get up. I take my time, ease into the day.)

I get some tea. I like Chai because I personally need some caffeine, and the heat warms my neck and chest in a soothing way.

I go into my yoga room and close the door. You do not need a yoga room. You just need space, somewhere where no one will be able to interrupt you. I tell my son: do not bother me when this door is closed unless you are bleeding or there is a fire. If you have younger babes, before they wake is a perfect time to practice.

I sit down and drink some of my tea. I feel my body and my emotional stance. I let it reveal itself to me. I do not force anything.

I ground my energy. I visualize the root chakra, red, at the base of the spine. I see this light and let it radiate down. I am sure to see it connect with something below me. I visualize the rocks and dirt under my house. I let my energy connect into that.

I create space for myself to do what I need to do here to make a connection. For this I use the navel chakra. I create a boundary around myself. I visualize this energy coming out of my navel chakra and surrounding me.

I send love out before me. I visualize white light coming out from my heart and filling the space all around me.

(Don't worry if the visualization are not clear. You know what you are doing here, even if you do not feel like you do. We are energy beings.)

Then I set an intention. I am usually guided to this. But intentions are intentional and a way to center your energy on what you would like to see during this time. Set these wisely and pay attention. Sloppy intentions do not get the job done. Words are vibration and vibration has power. You might set your intention by saying: “I set an intention to heal (some body part)” or “I set an intention to clear space for joy” or set an intention for someone else’s need or desire. It does not have to be anything grand really. Just listen to Yourself tell you what you would like to observe as a result of your practice.

I begin. I have been doing Gaiam videos lately. I have been enjoying these classes. Before I got this subscription, I would just work my body through Vinyasa or Kundalini practices. Sometimes, I’d follow some Yogi Bagan (thanks to my yoga teacher, Ginger) or I’d follow my own body through movement with attention to the breath.

I always take savasana (corpse pose)  when I am done.  I use an eye pillow and I cover myself with something warm. I work my way from foot to head and tell myself to release. I draw the word out so that the “s” sound stays in my head, like the sound of wind. Then I lose the container. I attempt to feel myself as light without a body. I stay in savasana from 2-5 minutes. 

I bow to conclude my physical movement. I thank God Guidance, whatever or whoever else may have helped me through the practice. I thank myself.

I move to my meditation cushion. Lately, I’ve needed to sit on a block. That’s been helpful to keep my spine straight, and I can plug my sitting bones into the block and really let my knees drop open.

I use my malas to chant. I have been chanting for fear and anger recently. This is a chant that Gandhi’s nurse gave to him, I am told. “Om Shri Rama, Jai Jai Rama” 108 times… it is a chant for victory. It has opened my throat chakra nicely.

I sit quiet afterwards. Sometimes I hear a song in my heart and I sing to God. 

I pray.  I pray for my tribe. I pray for those that I said I would pray for. I pray for family and friends, or some aspect in the world that is on my heart. I pray.



I bow to The Most High and lower my boundary (set at the beginning of practice with the visualization) enough to still feel safe in my space, yet still interact with others throughout the rest of the day.

Like I said, this is how I follow my Spirit. I would love to know what you do. I hope you have found the combination, that you have been playing. Open your heart to be led to circumcision, to be cleaned and cleared of distraction. 

One of the sweetest parts of this scripture, a part I do not want to overlook, is at the end.  This heart that the Spirit will create will praise God! It just will. The heart will get in line with the truth and praise Him. You will praise the Creator in action. And this which will reign new will not need man’s approval, but will give praise and receive praise to and from the One. 

Your day will still have things to attend to, but there will be joy in the Space that you relaxed into.

Go well.

Sat Nam.








Popular posts from this blog

Music and Yoga

Once a Blogger, Always a Blogger.